Monday, October 26, 2009

Studio Space

October "The Month of Crazy" 2010 is almost over. Thank gawd for that. Only two more bookings this month and I will have survived. I'm sitting on ten sessions that need to be edited - but since none of them are currently late I'm marking it down as a win.

The last few months have really shocked me. I didn't know I possessed such a driving force. I feel like I'm making a lot of progress both in my talents and abilities and in knowing what I want for the future. I never thought I would want any type of studio space but I'm starting to see a need for one. The summer and fall were great, but what about the winter? Where will I shoot? I'm also stuck with the issue of having to cancel sessions on rainy days. It would be nice to have a backup plan. I've been very lucky with in-home shoots so far. I've never had a situation I couldn't work in, but it would be nice to have more control over the lighting situations.

So, that brings me to a studio space. I don't exactly have the income or the business stability, or the income, to sign a lease on a place of my own. I also don't know anyone who's subletting and/or giving it away for free out of the goodness of their heart. I doubt I would qualify for an artist's co-op. That only leaves our spare bedroom...

Yep. You got it. We're thinking of using our spare bedroom as the world's tiniest photography studio. Honestly, I think it might work with some minor changes. The floors are hardwood and it has windows on the east and south so already we're in decent shape. I'm thinking about installing a brick veneer on one wall and buying a couple backdrops and a stand for some variety. Pick up a settee, some chairs, non-vomit inducing props for kiddos... Change out the light fixture, add a couple studio lights... We've got a working studio space. A 10x11 working studio space, but beggars can't be choosers at this stage.

Note: No posey-posey bullshit will be taking place in this studio. It's still business as usual - just inside.

I'm really only looking for an area that I could use for shoots with babies, children and small families. I live up the block from a park and there are plenty of outdoorsy areas around where we live so I could do half a session in the studio and half a session outside, weather permitting, and offer even more options to clients. For probably less money than I would pay for a month's rent in a studio, I could have a space in our house. It's not an ideal solution but I don't even know what I really need at this point. And who knows, it might be a total flop. I might hate it. It might also be awesome and I decide I want a real space in the future. Either way, I'm ready to take the next step with this learning process. I don't want to be limited to only photographing in certain places/scenarios.

Thank you for reading what has essentially been my inner dialogue for the past three days.

No comments: