Monday, July 13, 2009

The Wedding: A Day of Terror

My photography blog is where I appear to be a professional person who knows what they're doing.

This blog is where I tell the truth.

I photographed an entire wedding on Saturday and I left the reception feeling like a complete failure. It was a day so terrifying and exhausting I fear having to do it again. Seriously, I'm afraid to photograph another one after the first one. I know the first time doing anything is hard and sometimes shitty, so I'm just trying to keep reminding myself that it can only get better from here.

I learned that I seriously need to learn to use my flash. Who in their right minds photographs a reception without knowing how to use a flash??? This girl apparently. I thought I could get by with the available light in the hall, but then they turned off the available light and I was left with lighting from a string of Christmas lights and a window.

It was bad.

I got by for the most part using my 50mm 1.4 lens and my ISO cranked about as high as possible, which is so very unkosher. I didn't know what else to do though. I used the flash on some shots and they were freaking horrible. I stuck to the low-light lens and prayed that I got some in focus. It worked for the most part but there are some that are really grainy due to the ISO. It was certainly a learning experience.











No comments: