Friday, June 19, 2009

Buffalo Chicken Pizza

Last night for dinner I wanted something a little different so I made a buffalo chicken pizza.Honestly, aside from the crust, there isn't anything "pizza" about it. It's just a bunch of stuff that sort of resembles a pizza...

I usually go the Boboli route when making homemade pizza but I wanted a really thin, crispy crust for this one. I grabbed a couple of the pizza mix packets instead. Good thing I grabbed two because I completely screwed up the first one. The one and only direction on the package was, "Add 1/2 cup of hot water."

I failed. Completely.

I added 1 1/2 cups. I couldn't figure out why it wasn't getting doughy. It was just a bowl of liquid that smelled like bread.

The second one went as planned, but that stuff is a bitch to spread out onto a pizza pan. You are a saint if you have the patience to roll one of those things out at home. It stuck to everything except the pan because I used cooking spray on it. I evidentially should have sprayed my hands and arms up to my elbows because I was covered in the stuff by the time I was done.

Luckily enough stayed on the pan to constitute a pizza crust.



I topped it with Frank's buffalo sauce, sauteed onions, parsley, garlic, celery, chicken, basil and bleu cheese crumbles. Everything you need to go with buffalo sauce - except carrots. I thought that might be weird, and coming from someone who loves pickles on pizza, it probably is. Unless it was a Thai pizza, then it would be necessary.

Mmmm. Thai pizza!

I also made some bleu cheese dressing to smear over the top of it when it was done.



I'm not a fan of bottled dressings so I'm happy to have finally figured out how to make it from scratch. For this I mixed about a cup of sour cream, maybe two tablespoons of mayo, and a couple splashes of milk. (I think you can use skim, low-fat, regular and it doesn't really matter.) I whisked that together until creamy and then added dill, onion powder, garlic, a heap of fresh chopped parsley, ground pepper and bleu cheese crumbles. It was pretty amazing.

Yumm.

No comments: