Monday, December 29, 2008

Binge and Purge

It's about to be the beginning of a new year and I'm once again feeling the need to purge my life of the unnecessary. This year though, It's a dangerous combo of Spring cleaning and reading the book Eat, Pray, Love. That book is moving me to make changes in my life. I'm ready to make some emotional and spiritual (for lack of a better word) changes. (I'll blog about that later though. I have page 95 earmarked for a blog entry.)

But before I can make changes in my emotional life, I feel like my home and physical surroundings need to be cleaned out. For starters, my closet(s) and dresser drawers. I can't even begin to tell you how much junk is shoved away in those places. I did about two weeks worth of laundry yesterday and it astonished me to see all of my shirts folded up in one place. It was outrageous. I have about two drawers full of shirts. Some of those need to go. I'm really sentimental when it comes to certain items like shoes and dresses. I keep my nice shoes forever. I have a pair of magenta patent leather pumps that I bought about six years ago. The last time I wore them was August of 2005 (yes, I remember) but there's no way I would get rid of them. Same with dresses. I have a closet full of vintagey, pretty dresses that I would never part with. They just feel too special to get rid of. To me those things aren't clutter.

But two full drawers of t-shirts? Two full drawers of cheap cotton? Come on. That's stupid. Jeans that don't zip anymore? Why would I torture myself that way? Those need to go too.

The kitchen is also packed full of junk that needs to be cleaned out. We essentially have two of everything as a result of getting married. Obviously, only one set needs to stay. Four months have gone by and we still haven't cleaned out the kitchen. We just shoved everything into the giant cubby hole in the dining room. That cubby is a blessing and a curse.

Blessing = Storing bulk toilet paper from Sam's and a deep fryer.

Curse = Storing everything else on Earth in there too.

Luckily, or unluckily rather, my sis has a friend who is going though an unfortunate divorce and we are going to give her a lot of our extra stuff. See, purging the house and stocking my karmic cache. Plus, it gives me a deadline to actually get this stuff done.

And that my friends brings us to the office.



It's actually gotten worse since I took that picture. And there is no one to blame but myself for it. It doesn't need to be cleaned out, it just needs to be cleaned. For some reason my offices are the one area of my life that are always messy. I'll chalk it up to the creative nature of my job.

No comments: