Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Can't think of a title.

I found out this morning that a friend's son was diagnosed with Ewing Sarcoma, a form of bone cancer that usually effects kids and young adults. It makes me feel sick that her and her son have to go through this. His treatment starts in a few days and is going to be very aggressive.

A friend of mine died from ES a couple years ago so it sort of hits home. I've read a lot about it since she was diagnosed and I started involving myself in some cancer organizations. Since there's little that I can do for either of them, I'm going to help by telling the (few) people who read my blog about some of my favored organizations. Knowledge is power, right?

So, here we go:

CureSearch.org
Help CureSearch reach the day when every child with cancer can be guaranteed a cure. Their motto pretty much says it all. They work to gain support for pediatric cancer research. They have a great support page with ways you can help them that don't necessarily involve monetary donations. You can write a letter to Congress for example. They also have a gift shop with items designed by kids. They have some cute stuff that would make for great gifts.

National Marrow Donor Program
"When you become a bone marrow donor, you join the global movement of more than 13 million donors who stand ready to give someone a future." A couple years ago I had myself added to the national marrow donor database. You can fill out an application and order a testing kit from their website. Once you receive your kit, you swab the inside of your cheek and mail it back. It's that easy. You must be between the ages of 18 and 60 to join. You can have yourself removed from the database at any time. There is a cost incurred for the kit and testing.

Team In Training
TNT is the world's first, best and largest charity sports training program - and the only one to offer a full complement of exciting, sports training options. TNT is a part of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I ran a marathon with TNT in 2007 and raised over $1500 for the LLS. TNT raised over $71 million alone in 2008. The potential impact that this program can have on your life is unmeasurable. I still tear up to this day when I think about my experience with them. Not only did I help raise money, but I pushed my mind and body further than I ever thought possible and I made some lasting friendships along the way. I hope to participate again within the next couple years. The training/fundraising program is a huge commitment but you've got to play big to win big.

No comments: