Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Wheels on the Bus

I did something this morning that I haven't done since the second grade.

I waited for a school bus to pick me up in the morning.

Isn't that weird? It sort of amazes me that no matter how old you are, you're never too old to have to ride a school bus.

You know, I'm more than happy to ride city buses. There's a sort of dignity in taking a city bus. There is no dignity in taking a school bus, however. Not after the age of twelve anyways.

I work for a non-profit that provides long term residential care for youths that are pulled out of their homes for behavioral/legal reasons. It's a very well known organization. You can probably guess what it is. Well, this morning politicians from all over the state as well as executives from other non-profits came to our headquarters for a meeting regarding Nebraska's Safe Haven crisis. As a result, they closed off the parking lot to us little people so the higher-ups have a place to park. So, we had to park at a football field across campus and ride a school bus to the office.

I felt like I was seven again. Standing in the cold, bundled up waiting for the bus. Except this time I had an iPod and coffee and my dad wasn't yelling at me from the front porch to zip up my coat.

No comments: