Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

Matt and I finally caught up with the rest of the country last night and watched Slumdog Millionaire. Neither of us knew anything about the movie going in except for OMG it's the best movie of 2008.

I really liked it and it was very moving and touching at certain parts... but... I don't know. I wasn't blown away by it. It was visually stunning and the way the story was told was very unique. I like stories that aren't linear. It makes it harder to see what's coming next. There's nothing more irritating to me than a predictable ending. But the movie left me thinking, "That was good," not, "That was amazing." It's still definitely a movie that I would buy. I really want to see it again in Blue Ray.

I think my problem is that the movie was so hyped up. I already had expectations for it going in. Hype can kill a movie experience. The Dark Knight? Crash? Death by hype. I think the worst example I've ever seen for a hyped up movie being not worth it was Life Is Beautiful. I seriously hated that movie when I saw it. Maybe I would feel different if I watched it again... but I doubt it. Roberto Benini annoys the crap out of me.

No comments: