Thursday, May 14, 2009

My Guide to Wack Proof Skin

Taking care of my skin is very important to me. It's the only epidermis I get and I intend to take care of it. As I'm sure we all know, skin damage in your twenties creeps up in your forties. I don't know about you, but I will do everything in my non-surgical power to stay looking like a nineteen year old until I'm sixty.

I have some of the most sensitive skin known to mankind. It's fair, dry, acne prone, rash prone, burn prone. Pretty much everything. It took a loooong time to find products that work with my skin type. I'm pretty anal about using only these products. Any old hand lotion is usually okay, but the rest of my skin is such a mess that I don't risk it. So here you go:

My Guide to Wack Proof Skin



1. Aveeno Active Naturals Daily Moisturizing Lotion

I spent years looking for a lotion that would take care of my itchy, Nebraska winter skin while NOT giving me hives. It was tough, but after countless rashes I made my way to the Aveeno. Problem solved! I've been using it for several years and it never fails me even in the dead of January when the air is about as dry as Death Valley around here. It contains oatmeal which is a natural moisturizer somehow or another. I don't know the science, I just know it works great.

2. Vermont's Original Bag Balm

Ever since I was a child, the back of my hands get so dry that they crack. Gross? Yes. Inconvenient and painful? Double yes. When your hands get that dry, most lotions you find in drugstores burn like hell. As a kid I used to have to put on some crazy prescription cream and then wear tube socks over my hands around the house. Not exactly cool when you're seven. This stuff works wonders on dry, cracked skin. I wrote about it here. It's also fantastic for the bottoms of your feet, minor burns and scrapes, and you can use it on the dog.

3. Keri Renewal Serum

Yet another area of my body that gets ridiculously dry: My face. Except my face has that really awesome combination of dry yet zit prone. (Hooray for being 25 and still breaking out like a teenager! Seriously, when is this going to end? I've put in my time. Thirteen years of breakouts is enough already.) So, that's what I'm dealing with. I need a substantial moisturizer that isn't heavy and greasy. This again was trial and error. Oh heavens, the errors... My dad actually told me about this stuff. Go figure. The last person on Earth who I would ask for beauty advice and he's the one with the answers. This stuff leaves my skin moisturized and feeling clean year round.

4. Aveeno Active Naturals Continuous Protection Sunblock

Sunburning and sunblock are a never ending problem for me. Going without sunblock is never an option for me. Honestly, it shouldn't be an option for anyone, but stupid Coco Chanel accidentally got tanned on a cruise and ever since it's been chic to give yourself sun damage. The problem for me isn't finding a sunblock that works. Pretty much any brand of sunblock will do the trick. The problem is finding one that doesn't give me hives or a breakout. I figured that since the Aveeno lotion worked so well, the Aveeno sunblock should too. And it does!

5. Neutrogena Healthy Defense SPF 30 Daily Moisturizer

The only negative thing about the Keri Renewal Serum is that it contains some kind of alpha-photo-whatever that makes your skin prone to burning easier. For me, that's the equivalent of rubbing my face directly on the surface of the sun. Really, we should all be using sunblock on our faces so it was just another reason to start doing it. I researched some moisturizers and ended up going with this one. Again, it does what it's supposed to do without feeling greasy and giving me pimples. It's a broad spectrum UVA/UVB sunblock and a believe it's approved by the American Cancer Society.

6. J.R. Watkins Apothecary Red Clover Hand and Cuticle Salve

I like to have nice nails and nice cuticles. This stuff is great for mini manis at home. It makes my cuticles look great. It's pretty greasy and takes a while to absorb into the skin (it even says that on the label) so I usually use it at home while I'm watching TV. And the smell of it? Insane. I want perfume that smells like this stuff.

No comments: