Thursday, August 21, 2008

Master Procrastinator

This week was my way-past-due first week of 1/2 marathon training. Ya, so what if I was supposed to start a month ago. I'm a master procrastinator. Sunday I ran five miles, last night three. So far that's like a 1600% increase over last week where the only cardio I did was a lap around Oakview Mall looking for a gift for my bridesman. I have a four tonight and a six on Saturday. I learned my lesson about shooting out of the gate and running five miles of hilly hills when I haven't so much as touched a pair of sneakers in four weeks. I could barely walk Monday morning. Hopefully I can find somewhere flat to run six miles so it's not a repeat of last week's glute ripping hell. I could do it at the gym, but six miles on a treadmill is torture. Running in place for 80 minutes on a rubber pad that leads to nowhere is surprisingly unfun.

I have to magically prepare myself to run 13.1 with Kate at the end of September. I've thrown out the typical training schedule of two weeks up, one down, and then a three week taper at the end. I don't have time for a three week taper when the race is in six weeks. I'm just gonna go for it. I figure if I can run/walk/crawl ten miles by September 15th (happy first day of the honeymoon!) then I can do 13.1 on the 28th. It's all mental willpower. If I can run eight then I can run ten. If I can run ten then I can run 13.

You know what else my return to training means? My return to eating anything and everything I want!!! I don't want to lose any weight this time so I'm not going to be shy around the fries and cookies. Rice Bowl for dinner four nights a week? Why, thank you! Don't mind if I do!

No comments: