Sunday, September 28, 2008

Half-Marathon Results

So, I did something sort of stupid this morning. I ran a 1/2 marathon with my friend Kate... without training for it. I ran a full marathon a year ago and since then I've been pretty casual about my running. "Casual" as in maybe running four miles here and there, maybe not running for a month straight. Her and I went out a few weeks ago and ran seven miles on a Friday night so I knew I could make it at least 1/2 way through the 1/2 marathon with some relative ease.

Cut to this morning when the starting gun goes off. I was having major doubts. The first mile was a nightmare. Then it got a little better and we kind of eased our way through the middle miles. Miles 11-13 were pretty awful. I figured they would be. From past experience I knew that if I could make it through a seven mile run, a ten mile run wouldn't really be that much harder. A 13 mile run though... not good.

Our clocked time ended up being 2:35:58. I was freaking impressed with us. The second I stopped running though, I felt the pain of what I had actually done to my body. Just because my cardiovascular system will allow me to run 13.1 miles without consequence, doesn't mean my legs, hips and knees are going to be as forgiving. My body is stiff from the bellybutton down. Tomorrow is going to be a nightmare.

But for today, I am a marathon runner!

No comments: