Tuesday, September 30, 2008

My Very Own Guitar Hero

Matt has very, very recently been presented with a rather incredible career/business opportunity. I don't know how much I'm at liberty to divulge (probably nothing) so I'm going to be intentionally vague about it. I'll just say that it's an opportunity for him to become a full time musician and be paid fairly for it, which is rarely heard of. His dream in life is to be a full time musician, and while this isn't exactly the glitz and glamor career of a touring rock band, it's still pretty damn good.

My man is great at what he does. He sings, he writes songs and lyrics, he plays the bass, guitar, piano. He's charismatic and charming. Sweet and funny. Audiences like him. My dad likes him. I mean seriously, he's the hardest to impress of all. I'm not just saying this because I'm married to him and I'm biased. (Even though I am.) I'm saying it because it's true. Ask anyone who's met him. He's talented and it's a waste for him to be managing a restaurant and making salsa day in and day out. He deserves to have his dream job. No, no. He has earned his dreams.

It doesn't come without some sacrifice though. Matt is going to have to tour and travel, more than likely for three or four week intervals at a time. Have you ever gone three weeks without seeing your partner? We've gone six before. It's awful. And that was before we were married. I'm sure it's worse when it's a spouse. But that's just the thing, I'm his wife. We're married. This is us, a pair, making decisions that are supposed to better our life together. He is being given a choice that can greatly alter the scape of his employment and satisfy him career wise in a way that he's never had before. I can only see that as a good thing. How can I not support him on this decision? It would be selfish of me, and foolish of him, to pass on it for the single reason of us missing each other.

I've been opposed to him traveling in the past. Maybe for the wrong reasons, maybe not. But it feels different this time... I feel good about it this time. Before it felt like he was being taken advantage of, but now he's being given a clear and straightforward deal and he is going to be an integral part in the processes of what he's doing. Again, it's hard to explain it clearly without the details.

I'm happy that Matt is finally getting his share in life. All the good he's done for everyone else might finally come back around to him. Good old karma. It certainly pays.

No comments: