Sunday, January 25, 2009

Clint Eastwood Movies = Emotional Cutting

I saw two movies this weekend.

Or is it watched?

"Saw" implies that I went to the movies. "Watched" implies that I stayed home.

I guess I saw a movie and watched a movie this weekend then.

On Friday, I watched In the Valley of Elah. The acting in it was fantastic. Even the small roles were filled with big name actors. It was a fantastic movie, but overall it was horribly depressing. And gut-wrenching. And made me want to hug Tommy Lee Jones.

For whatever reason, I followed that up by seeing Gran Torino. Wow. Seriously Clint? Just, wow. You know a movie is good when watching it completely changes your mood.

Clint Eastwood was pretty much the only good actor in the film, but it didn't matter. He single handedly made that movie. Directed, produced, starred, sang. He probably built the sets with his bare hands.

As anyone who has seen a movie directed by Clint Eastwood knows, he isn't known for making feel-goods. His movies are so bittersweet. And this one is just that. Think "Million Dollar Baby" bittersweet. You can see it coming a mile away but there's nothing you can do to stop it. You just have to watch it and take it and process it on the ride home. (Or eight hours later sitting at the computer wondering if you're going to be able to stop thinking about it long enough to fall asleep.) It was really a good one.

1 comment:

kelly said...

I saw Gran Torino yesterday and had the exact same experience. Wow.